The President of the United States of America (POTUS) is the office/title of the person placed in charge of the Executive Branch of the United States government, and is therefore the Supreme Command of the military of the United States of America. The first president of the US was George Washington, who served from 1789 to 1797, and the incumbent is Barack Obama, who has served since 2009.
To date, four presidents have been assassinated: Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865, served from 1861-1865); James A. Garfield (1831-1881, served in 1881); William McKinley (1843-1901, served from 1897-1901); and John F. Kennedy (1917-1963, served from 1961-1963). To date, four presidents have died from natural causes: William Henry Harrison (1773-1841, served in 1841); Zachary Taylor (1784-1850, served from 1849 to 1850); Warren G. Harding (1865-1923, served from 1921 to 1923); and Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945, served from 1933-1945).
Timeline of Presidents:
- George Washington, April 30th, 1789 - March 4th, 1787
- John Adams, March 4th, 1787 - March 4th, 1801
- Thomas Jefferson, March 4th, 1801 - March 4th, 1809
- James Madison, March 4th, 1809 - March 4th, 1817
- James Monroe, March 4th, 1817 - March 4th, 1825
- John Quincy Adams, March 4th, 1825 - March 4th, 1829
- Andrew Jackson, March 4th, 1829 - March 4th, 1837